The City Attorney advises the City Manager, City Council, City departments, boards, commissions and committees in handling the legal business of the City. The City Attorney’s Office does not represent or provide legal advice to private citizens or businesses.
Responsibilities of the City Attorney and staff:
- Prepare and/or review ordinances, resolutions, contracts and other legal documents concerning City business;
- Provide legal advice to City departments to ensure compliance with local, state and federal law;
- Provide legal opinions to City Council and City departments;
- Supervise civil litigation for the City at the trial and appellate levels;
- Manage the City's Risk & Safety Program;
- Act as a liaison to the Americans with Disabilities Act Citizens Review Committee;
- Coordinate case management of misdemeanor charges and infractions with the contracted prosecutor.
Notice of Compliance with The Americans With Disabilities Act (28 CFR 35.106)