The City Attorney advises the City Manager, City Council, City departments, boards, commissions and committees in handling the legal business of the City. The City Attorney’s Office does not represent or provide legal advice to private citizens or businesses.
Responsibilities of the City Attorney and staff:
- Prepare and review ordinances, resolutions and contracts;
- Provide legal advice to City departments to assure compliance with state and federal law;
- Provide legal opinions to City departments;
- Supervise civil litigation for the City at the trial and appellate levels;
- Act as a liaison to the Americans with Disabilities Act Citizens Review Committee;
- Act as a liaison to the Code Enforcement Board;
- Coordinate case management of misdemeanor charges and infractions with the contracted prosecutor.