History - The Early Years
General Electric Co. began operating the Richland Fire Department on September 1, 1946, under the control of the Federal Government, as part of the Hanford Project. The department originated as a small station operated by the duPont Company on the southeast corner of George Washington Way and Knight Street.
The Richland Fire Department was established by City Charter in 1958. However, it's official organization date with the State of Washington is March 25, 1959.
At that time, the fire department was operating out of one station, built in 1952, which is still considered the fire department's main station, Station 71, on George Washington Way and Swift Blvd. In October of 1958, the City built two new fire stations, one of which, Station 73 on the corner of Jadwin Avenue and McMurray Street is also still occupied by the fire department today.
Central fire station (Station 71), built in 1952, located on George Washington Way and Swift Blvd.