Richland BeginningsRichland has a unique history. For many years Richland was a small farming village. In 1942 the federal government saw Richland's remote location, abundant water supply and mild weather as the right combination it needed for a portion of its Manhattan Project. Modern day Richland was born. Almost overnight the village of 247 people developed into a federally owned town of 11,000 residents. Thousands of workers from across the nation converged on the Hanford area to construct facilities where plutonium for the world's first nuclear weapons would be created.
Richland History Highlights
- 1958: Richland is incorporated as a chartered First Class City governed by self-rule
- 1959: Richland hires their first police chief, Robert C. Marshall.
- 1970 to 1974: Chief David E. Walsh implements the dark blue police uniform and designs a new badge and shoulder patch which is still worn today
- 1975 to 1977: Chief Ronald F. Goad establishes the department's first policy and procedures manual
- 1978 to 1984: Chief Bernard A. Colligan establishes a K-9 unit, a motorcycle traffic unit, an off-road vehicle officer assignment and a SWAT team
- 1984 to 1999: Chief David L. Lewis implements the D.A.R.E. program, the community oriented policing (COP) programs and establishes the Citizen Advisory Board
- 1999 to 2001: Chief Randy Carper establishes a dedicated traffic unit with a sergeant and four officers. The new police station, approved by voters in 1999, is built during this time and opens in 2001.
- 2001: Tony Corsi becomes Chief of Richland Police Department
- 2011: Chris Skinner becomes Chief of Richland Police Department
Read the complete Richland Police Department history.