How It Works
The program is run by the Community Services Division and house checks are performed by the Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS). VIPS check the exterior of the home for any signs of damage or entry. If evidence of damage or entry is found, or anything else that is suspicious, the VIPS request a police officer to check the house.
The VIPS typically check the homes on the Vacation House Check list several times a week or as staffing allows. There is no guarantee that houses will be checked daily.
1. For City of Richland residents only.
2. For vacations of a minimum of five (5) days and a maximum of ninety (90) days.
3. For residential properties only. Business locations, vacant properties, homes for sale and homes with a house sitter or other guest(s) staying in the home are not eligible for vacation checks.
4. Applications must be submitted at least one week (7 days) before your departure. Telephone requests for vacation checks will not be accepted.
5. If your travel plans change, please contact Community Services at (509)942-7636.
6. The completed application must be submitted in person at the Richland Police Department during normal business hours. We cannot accept your application by any other means. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Ask the post office to hold your mail or have someone else pick it up.
- Ensure all the doors and windows are locked.
- Keep your outside or porch lights on while you are away, or put them on a timer to come on at night.
- Set a light on a timer to come on at night.
- Suspend your newspaper service.
- Tell trusted neighbors when you will be gone and how to contact you if needed.