Collection crews pick up garbage on a daily schedule, Monday through Friday, year-round, except Christmas Day. If your scheduled collection day falls on Christmas, your garbage will be picked up on the following day. All other collections that week will be one day later than normal.
Cans should be placed out for collection by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled day. Containers must be placed at least three (3) feet from cars, trees, mailboxes or fences. Please place the cart wheels as close to the curb as possible and ensure the lid is closed.
For questions concerning your garbage collection service, please call (509) 942-7700.
The City of Richland is committed to providing quality service to its residents. If your garbage was missed, please call our office by noon the next day at (509) 942-7700.
Routes and drivers change from time to time, so collection times may vary. Please ensure your containers are at the curb for service by 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled day. Call back fees apply when containers are not at the curb on time.
Yard waste is collected separately from garbage, every other week on your normal collection day. Yard waste will be collected year round except during freezing temperatures. Containers need to be placed at the curb on the regular collection day by 6:00 a.m. for service. Yard waste is composted at the Horn Rapids Landfill. Click here for an informational video!
What to do with extra yard waste
- Get an additional yard waste container for $2/month
- Use mulching lawn mower to reduce yard waste
- Compost at home
- Place extra yard waste in your gray garbage can
- Bring the extra yard waste to the Horn Rapids Landfill for free (Richland residents, clean yard debris only).
Reminders for using your yard waste container
- Place only loose grass, leaves, plant trimmings, garden debris like inedible fruits and vegetables, non-treated wood and branches less than 12" in diameter in container.
- DO NOT place dirt, rocks, treated or glued wood, animal waste, meat or processed food, or any other garbage in the container.
- DO NOT bag yard waste. Plastic bags do not break down and retrieving plastic bags from the composting process is labor intensive and expensive.
- Garbage is not allowed in the yard waste container. Repeat offenders are charged a garbage disposal fee of $8.15.
- If the container is too heavy or compacted with too much yard debris the truck cannot empty the container. Follow the weight guidelines on the container. If the container cannot be emptied due to weight, material will have to be removed and a call back fee will be charged to dispatch a truck back.
Recycling at the curb is easy. Our co-mingled program includes a 96 gallon container to collect recyclables. Recycling containers are serviced every other week and cost $6.60/month. Acceptable materials include cardboard, pressboard, cartons, jugs, plastic bottles, tin and aluminum can. Glass is NOT accepted in the curbside program. View our recycling brochure for additional information. Residents can sign up by calling (509) 942-7700.
Recycling containers are collected every other week on the same day as garbage service. Print the annual Collection Calendar as a helpful reminder. Please place containers at the curb on the regular collection day by 6:00 a.m. for service to avoid call back fees. Additional containers are available for an extra $2.00 per month, with a one year commitment. Request by calling (509) 942-7700.
Garbage is not allowed in the recycling container. Repeat offenders are charged a garbage disposal fee of $8.15.
Drop Box Recycling
There are seven drop box locations around Richland for residents to drop off recycling. These location are for approved materials only and do not accept garbage or hazardous waste. Clayton Ward Recycling services and monitors these locations. Drop-box recycling includes cardboard, newspaper, tin, aluminum, glass, plastic beverage containers and scrap paper, like phone books, pressboard boxes and junk mail.