- Coordinate local government involvement in Department of Energy decision-making on issues affecting the Hanford Communities
- Evaluate reports and findings, issue position papers, prepare letters and testimony and sponsor activities to inform local citizens about Hanford related environmental health, safety and socio-economic issues
- Increase public awareness and involvement in Hanford cleanup issues
- Interact with the Department of Energy, the Washington State Department of Ecology, the EPA and others regarding Hanford environmental contamination, remediation, waste management, emergency response and workforce and site transition issues
- Provide technical and analytical resources to review, evaluate and monitor conditions and policies at Hanford
Hanford Policy Guidance
Every year, dozens of policy issues are studied by the Department of Energy. Then Hanford Communities monitors the status of major policy issues and supplies in-depth analysis and information to local governments. The Hanford Communities Newsletter keeps local government representatives informed and involved in Hanford policy formulation. Common policy positions are formally communicated to federal officials and other stakeholders.
Public Education and Involvement Programs
The Hanford Communities helps elected representatives increase the awareness of Hanford-related issues among their constituents. The Hanford Communities sponsors activities to coordinate public review of policy issues critical to the Hanford area.
Safeguarding the environment and protecting worker and public safety are matters of utmost concern to Hanford area governments. Hanford Communities members are kept informed of the latest Hanford health and safety issues. Shared concerns are discussed and common positions are communicated to the Department of Energy.
For more information, please contact Pam Larsen at (509) 942-7348.